Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New York Fucking City

I kind of wanted to get my dad one of those shirts, because we both think it's great. But you could never wear it! Which is too bad.

I spent 48 hours in a West Virginia monastery, then 36 hours in Manhattan. I'll talk about the second one first, because there's less to say.

I made the right call to work with Google Seattle instead of NYC. I thought living in the city would be super neat. After my second visit (I was there for a week a couple years ago), I am a little disenchanted. Eww! I drove in to the city. Gah! 1 1/2 hours traffic, an $8 toll to drive through the Lincoln Tunnels, and $50 for parking 24 hrs. (actually, $42 for 24 hours; $50 for 24 hours and 3 minutes) Although that's not as bad as it sounds, I don't think. Apparently if you commute in on one of these commuter trains from Jersey or CT, it can be $20-30 (taking into account parking at the train station and the train cost) and it takes forever too. (Quote MattJ: it's more expensive to commute into NYC than it is to live in Pittsburgh!)

Okay, parking worries aside, a lot of it is dirty, it's a little cutthroat sorta kill-or-be-killed style, cockroaches are sometimes a fact of life, and most of the streets really are not that exciting. Come on, do you really want to see another boulevard of office buildings, food marts, apartments, and ripoff electronics stores?

And it's expensive.

THAT SAID, it's an awesome place to visit! I spent about half the time hanging out with a lot of friends, stayed with Mike Yin, went to bars with him and Catie and her friends, saw Todd and [title of show], and aforementionedly hung out with Matt J.

Speaking of [title of show], this show is great. Skip that Disney-movie-turned-musical (or Shrek the musical, which does exist, fuck you world I hate the entire goddamn planet shit ass fuck shit fucking hate you all) you were going to see and go see this instead. It's a show about how they made the show, and while you groan "meta-play shuuuuuuttt uuuuuuuuppppppp", it's really well done. Except for a few stale jokes about ATM machines and PIN numbers, the whole show was really pretty fresh, there was a joke in there that I was the only one who laughed at, and it's funny and then even at the end you're like "I'm watching a funny play" and then it's BAM you just got inspired. Not inspired, just a little like "awww!" because you're watching these lovable losers become winners as their show gets to Broadway and then you're like, hold up, this is really them. I hate Broadway! But I like this show. Did I mention Matt's working on it? Support your friend/fellow SnSer/guy you don't know, depending on who you are, and go see this!

Chelsea Market: I saw this again! It is still my favorite spot in New York! I had the best espresso of my life there! They have a milk bar, and a couple bakeries, and a Moroccan shop. I later learned that the Google NYC offices are right across the street! Shit, maybe I should have worked there!

The rest of the time: I pretty much retraced my steps, entirely unconsciously, from last time. I found myself in the same stores, and I totally didn't mean to. It was pretty surreal. Except I ate at a place called "OMS/B" which sells (appropriately) omusubi, which is rice balls, and that was neat. Drank a lot of coffee.

I like this city. I do not love it anymore. I will gladly not live in it, but I will gladly visit it. Thanks to Mike for hosting me, thanks to all my friends for making it super fun, and more about WV (arguably the more interesting/life-changing part of this trip) whenever I get around to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your description of New York is misinformed because all you saw was the worst part of Manhattan. You didn't travel to the other boroughs, nor did you experience what it's like to actually have a place to live and a routine and a job that pays you in accordance with the cost of living in New York. In short: you're kind of a pompous dick.

Dan said...

Yes, you're right, Anonymous Commenter. I failed in my valiant attempt to distill Life-in-NYC down to a 24-hour experience. Please, guide me around next time, and show me what life in other boroughs is like. I'm serious!*

(you'll note that in my previous visit to NYC, in which I tried to distill life-in-NYC down to 5 days, I lamented the fact that I never stepped out of Manhattan. There's a lot to see, and I wish I had more time to take in more of it.)

Am I making snap judgments? Yes. What else can I do? Anytime I visit a place, I try to get a picture of what life there is like. (that's more interesting than seeing all the local tourist landmarks, by far.) But as I am a tourist/visitor, I can't. All I'm saying is, based on what I saw, I'm happy with my current decision to move to a smaller city. I think that when a city gets as big as New York, life can't stay as nice as it can in a smaller (but still big) city.

*Who are you? If you're secretly someone I know, reveal yourself! If not, then I'm not actually serious when I said I'm serious before, because I'd hate to travel around the city with someone who thinks I'm a pompous dick when I really try hard not to be. Oh, and someone who's too cowardly to put his name on an anonymous insulting blog comment.