Saturday, June 06, 2009

Is it just because I want everything to be just so?

My dad really doesn't like Dennis Kucinich. I know he's recently made an effort to be a respectable politician, but back in the 70's he was apparently a pretty bad mayor of Cleveland. Though, given that my dad and I disagree on everything in politics, if he says Kucinich was a bad mayor, maybe I'd think he was a good mayor. But then, Cleveland has been pretty crummy in the past couple of decades, so we sure didn't have Abraham Lincoln at the helm in the 70's.

God! Who cares? Politics is not the point of this post. The point is that my dad purposefully calls the guy "Dennis Kuspinich". The joke here is that "spinach" is a bad thing (something I just straight up believed for like 16 years until I actually TRIED it... but that's a *sigh* for another post) and so morphing a guy's name to make it like "spinach" is mocking him. It's not a very good joke. But my dad will never call him Dennis Kucinich.

This quite bothers me. I have no idea why. I'm trying to construct alternate scenarios in my mind to see what would and wouldn't bother me. (what if he called Obama "dum-bama"? what if he called the green movement the "green bean" movement? what if he called toothpaste "moosepaste"?) but I can't quite place it. It's not that I like Kucinich. It's not that it's a terrible insult. Maybe it's because it's kind of cutesy and has gotten old, but he still gets some satisfaction out of that and I'm annoyed at the bad joke? I don't know. It bothers me, I don't know why, and it bothers me that I don't know why.

Maybe I should start calling him "dard" instead of "dad" as retaliation. But then always deny having called him "dard". Mu-hahaha.

2 comments:

adamdaslasha said...

"Dard" is slang for "Penis" in French, coincidentally. So make sure your dad isn't French before you call him that.
I sort of like Mr. Kuspinach too, but I really don't think he'd be a good president. He's probably one of the least inspiring people I've ever seen on TV, even if I agree with most things he says.
--Adam Da Slasha

Dan said...

Good to know.

For the record, I don't like the guy. (Dennis Kucinich, I mean, not my dad. My dad's a champ. Except when he calls Dennis Kucinich "Dennis Kuspinich".)