Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why do the best things remind me of video games?

I'll be going through Angkor Wat or Hampi or something, and I'll think "this is like a scene from Myst or Riven." My standard of excellence for instrumental music is the soundtrack from Final Fantasy games. Even a really good story is like one from a video game plot.

Why is this? It's like I've imprinted on old RPG's and puzzle games (FFVI, FFVII, FFX, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Baldur's Gate I/II, Diablo II, King's Quest V-VII, Loom). Playing one of these games is like watching a movie 20 times, so after that I'm really invested in the story and characters. Plus, I bet the interaction has something to do with it. I don't think most critics in their right mind would take Chrono Trigger over The Godfather, but I would. Strange!

2 comments:

Cheryl Cochran said...

When I went to Yellowstone and saw this: http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/27/2794/AY5OD00Z/posters/polich-carol-boardwalk-and-bacteria-mat-black-sand-basin-in-yellowstone-wyoming-usa.jpg
my immediate thought was Myst.

Dan said...

Wow! That indeed looks like a promotional screenshot for Myst. Cool!