Monday, February 25, 2008

More music: bein' a dj in more than one sense of the word

I kinda want to get into more aspects of pop/electronic music. I want to learn to do some stuff with mixing songs. I don't know what I mean by that. I know there are a lot of types of messing with music, as it were: you can be a live DJ for a party, or you can do scratching and like dueling-DJ stuff, or you can remix other songs, or you can be a little more hardcore-electronic and make something with a lot of bloops and bleeps. I don't think any of those are what I want to do (although I wouldn't mind learning them), but I'm not sure what I do want to do. But here are some things I like:

Girl Talk
The Avalanches
The album "DJ Kicks" by Hot Chip (or I guess I should say, by various artists, curated by Hot Chip)

I don't particularly like mashups for mashups' sake, although they can be neat too, I've heard a few good ones. I like thinking about what songs would go well together, and I like fading one song out and fading one song in real smooth-like. So if you know things about these and can point me in the right direction, or give me a name for what it is I like to do, or point me to some (free) software, I'd be interested in that.

No comments: